Hey there, wanna hear a secret

2008 Presidential Race

Postby BeerCur on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:40 pm

I'll tell you one thing, I am ready for "Talking around the kitchen table, People on Main Street, Friends, and Joe the Plumber" to take a hike over the cliche cliff.

I'm a registered Republican, and became so in 2000. I was an independent before that, but I wanted to vote for John McCain in that year's Pennsylvania Primary. At heart I'm still an independent and have voted for both parties since. To be honest though, my default is to vote Republican if I don't recognize the candidates on the ballot, yes this happens too often, as I basically agree with the party's basic principles.

One of the "benefits" to being a registered Republican is that I am on their mailing list, and each election cycle their hate mail comes to my mailbox to inform me how crappy the Democrats are. The latest one has a picture, on a folded cardboard 6 by 8, of a peaceful looking city on a bay or ocean with a few tall buildings (not New York, but similar). Bold across the front, "Do you want America to be safe?" or something to that effect. I opened up the folded glued cardboard and the panorama of the city continues and it says, "Barack Obama wants to talk to Terrorists" below that, "John McCain will stand up to them" and ends with "Who do you feel safe with." It was so absurd, I actually laughed when I read it. I wished the candidates could do better in appealing to people at a higher level, but at the end of day we have what we deserve. We can't be bothered with details, and the Karl Roves of the world take advantage of our short attention spans with quick audacious half-truths. It's done on both sides of the aisle, but it just seems more egregious and divisive on the right.

With the campaign rolling to its conclusion, I have to say the 2008 McCain has been very disappointing, especially in comparison to the 2000 McCain. Catering to the 18% who decide their vote on if you're a believer or not, McCain made a huge mistake picking Palin. The strongest argument McCain had was his experience, and he proceeded to gut it with his VP choice. He is, after all, 72 with multiple bouts of cancer. I don't want her to be our leader, you know. The notion of him standing up to do what is right unless there is an alternative that will help him get elected, as the Palin choice shows, further diminished another one of his strongest appeals. Pushing a tax cut to look more Republican is ridiculous with its breaks to the rich and big business. Finally, the dirty water politics he is playing now, as the Republican spinsters pull the strings, is just sad for a man I thought would run a respectful campaign that dealt with the issues. He is willing to sell his ideals to be elected and that alone makes him unqualified.

Obama can't be left off the hook either. He is getting in the mud and throwing it around too, probably on the advice of his string pullers; however that isn't what bothers me most - it's his overly nauseating rhetoric, and painting his ideals in flowery BS that makes me think of a used car salesman. Enough already. Can't he talk to people as people, with any type of ease and be to the point? Geesh, I'd rather have Andy Rooney talk about a blank piece of paper.

Obama did choose well with Joe Biden (Democrat Cheney), and Obama's message is consistent, positive, and, if you have a day or two and a nap, makes sense and, in essence, is fair to people. I believe he will be an excellent president and lead us to necessary healthcare reforms (everyone should have health insurance), mend international fences kicked over by W. Bush, and pull us through the latest turmoil with strong, encouraging, decisive leadership. Along with natural intelligence, strength of character, and perseverance, I feel he is not only the best choice, but also the only sensible choice this time around.

So Senator Obama, I've decided I'm voting for you. Now get off my lawn and off my TV, and take that hollow "sellout" opponent candidate with you.
The Dog of Beers
BeerCur
Site Admin

Return to Announcement

• VISITORS